Monday, July 23, 2018

Watching the setting sun





Watching the setting sen, the mind wanders
About within its realm, 
Unyielding, focused - a catharsis almost. 
No, wait, is it the music playing in my ears?
Cant be! Every note labouring inside, 
Makes me smile, laugh and yet well up inside-
As my eyebrows dance to the music
And my face contorts to bring about different emotions. 

Watching the setting sun, the mind wanders
Where it has never been;
And, where it has been before. 
What spell has she over me? She sings in unknown tongues
Yet, what spell has she over me, when she sings in familiar notes? 
Wide awake in this dark hour, I wonder- 
Is it the song? No, it can't be just that. 
Frustrated, I wonder why this bastard music has a hold over me -
Impure, she defies the rules I have learnt.

Watching darkness creep in, my mind focuses
On her sharp voice, hitting notes as they ought to. 
Not shrill, no! She's far from that. 
Yet, her bastard music takes over the night and me- 
Like a clear-eyed fox that creeps into your house, ravages your bin
For scraps of stale bones and meat. The house looks like a murder scene, 
Yet I giggle, I laugh and I smile at that scrawny bastard- 
While her bastard music continues to play amidst the scavenger's cacophony. 

I shoo the mess-making hood rat out, but she croons on,
I pick up the pieces. I stop, kneel and bawl.
Yet, she croons on. 
My mind wanders beyond known waters;
Troubling, fearful and twisted - 
I pick myself off the floor, wipe off those tears
And allow the moment to consume me - her bastard music!


- Dolashree K. Mysoor


No comments: